Thursday, October 13, 2011

Learning a new skill

I have completed the little sweater for my cousin's son. I'm going to put in the mail this week (hopefully) since they actually have fall up north and he can probably use it now. I made it in the 18 month size and he just turned one in September so I'm hoping it'll fit over a base layer.

I learned it's easier to learn new skills on child-sized garments and decided I'm going to make a little sweater for all the small people I know before attempting a second adult-sized garment.
I have learned and mastered the mattress stitch. I have The Knitter's Bible by Claire Crompton and typically this is my go-to guide for skills, but in the instance of the mattress stitch - not so good. I kept trying to understand the written instructions and the pictures (or lack thereof) just do not cut the mustard for someone who doesn't have a clue what the stitch is supposed to look like. Thank god for Utube! I found a very helpful video (I didn't save the link so I can't share it) that made it a cinch. Considering the simplicity of this stitch, I am not even going to share just how long I attempted to learn this stitch from the few books I have and written instructions. It's embarrassing.
The sleeves look great though!
I have also learned that my rib stitch is kinda tight and I should use a between size needle for ribbing or add some stitches to make it look normal. I had to be creative at the arm holes because of this and did not close them completely but left the ribbing unsewn so his little hands will fit through them.
In addition, I need to add to my button stash! I had a hard time finding buttons on hand that would look good with this little project.

In other life news, we've been adjusting to Jamie's new job schedule and it's been hard. But it will pay off in the end. We're both adjusting well.
I believe I have been reinfected with the very same cold I had two weeks ago. It's very strange considering it has been so long that I cannot even remember the last time I was sick and now, not once, but twice I come down with some crappy cold?! Horrible.
We got some rain last week and the burn ban is temporarily lifted so I plan on working outside this weekend trying to get some of the piles taken care of.

I am throwing around getting back onto the lace project. I need to make some socks too. Who knows? You'll just have to wait and see what I cast on!

No comments:

Post a Comment