Friday, June 21, 2013

Craftiness returns!

Today Mary is twelve weeks old today!

We've started trying to get back into some of our old activities since Mary's settled into more of a routine. There are a couple of projects I really wanted to get done for Mary's nursery - one being a homemade pouf and the other is a hanger for the baby monitor to get it off the crib mattress.

Better Homes & Gardens had a DIY Pouf project that was all over Pinterest that I figured I would try. You can find instructions here.
It came out rather well, I think. Not an item you'd want to use during a pillow fight since it has a few pairs of Jamie's old jeans, lots of t-shirts, stuffing, scrap fabric, a full size lamp, the kitchen sink, and whatever else I could find to shove in there. They are not kidding when it says you'll need LOTS of stuffing.
It weighs a ton.


I had quite a bit of fabric left over and I've been wanting to make something to hang the monitor on to keep it off the crib mattress and get the cord out of baby reach. I had an idea in my head of how I wanted it to hang and just wasn't sure how it was going to work out. And you know how ideas in your head work out in practice....sometimes they don't always match.
So I went for it.


 I added a little flower stitch to give it something fun. Not that you can see it when the monitor is hanging on it, but I know it's there!








This is one example where what was in my head matched what happened in outside of my head. It hangs perfectly! I think it might be a new baby shower gift! I'm going to add another little 'pocket' to run the power cord through before plugging it into the monitor - this way once the baby gets older there isn't a chance for little fingers to grab the cord and pull on it.
Next I'm working on a car seat cover to keep Mary protected from the sun and wind. I pulled the pattern off Pinterest as well (found here). The 'instructions' are more like guidelines which I like because it leaves room for creativity.
 
I'm hoping to get back to knitting pretty soon!
 
Here's a photo from today to mark the twelfth week since Mary arrived!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment