Monday, May 2, 2011

Socks

Knitting socks for Jamie has piqued my curiousity for the subject and I've been researching socks. Not really something one gives much thought to - considering most of us touch a sock everyday.
I found this very helpful website that a fellow knitter did some research on heel types and credited it (yay!): http://www.woolworks.org/sockheels.html

I knitted the first pair of socks in a simple stockinette stitch just to see if I could without pulling my hair out. To my amazement I made it through a simple heel-flap-and-gusset and completed the first pair of socks. A bit small for me, but thank goodness my sister's feet are a bit smaller than mine :).
I sought out a bit more complex pattern with some cabling and started another pair this time in man size. Also opted to pick up some sock yarn instead of using yarn from my stash. After finishing sock number one I didn't really want to give my sister the first pair of socks....sock #1 of man-sock-project made the first set look...well...fugly. Jamie said my sister would still appricate getting my very first pair of socks and that I should give them to her anyway. Which I did, and she was thankful to receive them, but I did feel a bit sheepish showing her the man-sock project.
Both patterns called for the heel-flap-and-gusset style heel, which is actually fairly simple to complete. I even opted to use a different yarn for the heel and toe in the man-sock project. Another first in my knitting experience. I cannot help but bend and edit patterns (crochet and knit) as I do them.
I will do my best to start posting pictures of my projects but for now descriptions will have to do!
Happy Knitting! -E

No comments:

Post a Comment